Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Banding
- Your doctor might suggest for Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Band if you are severely obese with a BMI of over 40 along with health conditions like diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease or sleep apnea.
- The surgery is minimal invasion surgery where the doctor makes a small incision in the upper abdomen to put an adjustable band around the top part of the stomach.
- Post-surgery, the band can be adjusted by adding or removing fluid in a balloon around the band. The procedure is done through a port placed under the skin of a patient’s abdomen.
- The doctor administers a needle to go through the skin into the port to inject the fluid in order to adjust the position of the band.
A small incision is made, usually 1.25 cm to 0.5 cm and a laparoscopic camera is inserted through the tiny hole through which the doctor locks the band around the stomach. The procedure is conducted through a circular tunnel behind the stomach.
Use of silicon band
- The silicon band reduces the intake of food resulting in less absorption of calories.
- However, the patient has to strictly follow a health dietary regimen after the surgery in order to reduce and maintain his/her weight.
- As patient loses weight, the band can be adjusted and removed after a certain period of time.
When does a doctor recommend for Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Band?
Obesity is a common yet a chronic problem and if a patient is unable to lose weight then a doctor may recommend for a surgery.In case of a BMI of over 40, diabetes along with obesity, sleep apnea, high blood pressure, or non-alcoholic fatty liver.
Why would a doctor not recommend for a weight loss surgery?
- Obesity also causes major health issues which might become a problem if you are thinking about a weight-loss surgery.
- The doctor would conduct required tests before okaying you for a surgery and might give a red signal or not go for a surgery if a drug or alcohol addiction or any possible allergies to the silicon band, or thyroid issues or last stages of any organ failure or disease are detected.
What is the duration of the surgery?
The surgery will be conducted in 30 to 60 minutes.
How will Laparoscopic Band help me?
It will not result in immediate weight loss. But, gradually it will restrict the intake of food (calories) and will fasten the weight loss process helping you in getting rid of other health issues related to obesity.