In Vitro Fertilization (IVF)
In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) is an assisted reproductive technology (ART). It is the process of fertilization where eggs are extracted and a sperm sample is retrieved. Then both the egg and sperm are manually combined in the laboratory. Subsequently, the embryo is transferred to the uterus.
IVF is recommended as treatment in the following cases:
- Tubal damage- If a woman has blocked or missing fallopian tubes, it can be confirmed by laparoscopy. It is also suggested if tubal microsurgery has failed.
- Male infertility- If a male has low sperm count, poor motility, abnormal morphology and absent sperms in semen, IVF may be the recommended by doctors.
- Endometriosis- IVF is an option for women suffering from severe/moderate endometriosis distorting pelvic anatomy.
- Ovulatory disorders- Most ovulation problems can be treated using ovulation drugs. In case, a pregnancy does not occur, IVF may be considered.
- Unexplained infertility- If a couple suffers from unexplained infertility and has not conceived after 6 cycles of ovulation induction, IVF may be a treatment option.
- Failed IUI cycles- IVF could be the next step if previous intrauterine insemination cycles have not been successful.