The Functional Neurosurgery Unit at the BLK Super Speciality Hospital is a division which is dedicated to treat functional neurological disorders like Parkinson’s disease, Essential Tremor, Chronic Pain and Spasticity.
What are functional neurological disorders?
- Functional disorders can develop in anyone at any stage of life. The brain of a patient suffering from functional neurological disorder remains normal but functional incorrectly.
- Generally functional neurological disorder is correlated with Parkinson’s disease which is common in old age but can also occur due to any brain injury.
- But, there are disorders like Spasticity, chronic pain or weakness and movement disorders which are experienced by patients and are treated at the Functional Neurosurgery unit.
These disorders are physically visible and can be experienced in daily routine of a patient. Usually, a person may suffer from Blackouts, Tremors, Weakness, Paralysis, Loss of vision or double vision, Slurred speech or any kind of abnormal sensation in the lower part of the body or limbs.
The treatment is decided on the basis diagnoses done by physical examinations and required tests. The treatment may include physiotherapy, occupational therapy and medication.
If all these treatment fail to treat or better the condition then the doctor may suggest for surgery.
Surgical procedures for different neurological disorders
At BLK, we offer you world-class technology and highly-skilled doctors who offers all round treatment for all kinds of functional neurological disorders. No functional neurological disorder is same and doctor may suggest different procedure for different disorders. The surgeries we offer include:
- Parkinson’s Disease or Essential Tremors: A patient who is suffering from Parkinson’s disease, essential tremors or dystonia may be recommended for Deep Brain Stimulation after all the treatment fail to better his/her condition.
- Chronic Pain: A person suffering from chronic pain in limbs or spine may be recommended procedures like Intrathecal pain pump implantation for intractable chronic pain, Cordotomy for the reduction of severe, refractory pain associated with terminal musculoskeletal or abdominal cancer, Spinal cord stimulation for patients with botched back surgery syndrome or complex regional pain syndrome and Rhizotomy.