Cord Blood Transplant
- In cases of leukemia, lymphoma, sickle cell anemia and other life-threatening diseases,Umbilical Cord Blood is increasingly playing an important role.
- It is the process of injecting cord blood to restore an individual’s own blood production system impacted by cancer drugs or radiation.
- Globally, cord blood transplants are possible due to parents donating their child’s cord blood to public cord blood banks.
- Apart from bone marrow, cord blood is one of the sources of blood-forming stem cells used in transplants.
What are the advantages of using cord blood?
- Cord blood is a great option for patients with uncommon tissue types since it doesn’t have to be matched.
- It is stored, ready to use and quickly available.
- Transplant complications like graft-versus-host disease (GVHD) are less severe after cord blood transplants.